Sterile processing technology refers to the field of healthcare that involves the preparation, decontamination, sterilization, and distribution of medical instruments, equipment, and supplies used in patient care.
The goal of sterile processing is to ensure that all tools and equipment are free of bacteria, viruses, and other pathogens that could cause infection in patients. All of the knowledge required in this profession can be learned through an online sterile processing technician course.
Is Sterile Processing in Demand?
Sterile processing is critical to patient safety and the overall quality of healthcare. Technicians must be well-trained and follow established protocols to ensure that instruments and equipment are properly sterilized and that patients receive safe and effective care.
Sterile Processing Technicians are in high demand in the United States for several reasons:
- Growing Healthcare Industry: The demand for healthcare services is growing, resulting in a need for more medical equipment and supplies. This has created a higher demand for sterile processing technicians responsible for preparing, sterilizing, and distributing these supplies.
- Aging Population: The population of the United States is aging, and as people get older, they tend to need more medical care. This has led to an increased demand for sterile processing technicians that have an SPT certification.
- Shortage of Technicians: There is a need for more sterile processing technicians in the United States, which is expected to continue. As a result, many healthcare facilities need help finding qualified technicians, which drives up demand for these professionals.
- High Turnover Rate: The high turnover rate in the sterile processing field also contributes to the demand for these technicians. Many technicians leave the area for other opportunities, which leaves healthcare facilities needing to find new technicians to fill the positions.
- Importance of Sterile Processing: Sterile processing is a critical component of patient safety, and healthcare facilities emphasize ensuring that their instruments and equipment are properly sterilized. This has increased the demand for sterile processing technicians responsible for ensuring that instruments and equipment are properly sterilized and ready for use.
Overall, the demand for sterile processing technicians is expected to continue to rise in the United States as the healthcare industry continues to grow and the importance of sterile processing remains a priority.
Common Terms for Aspiring SPTs
The infographic below shares some of the medical terms that every sterile processing tech should be familiar with: